Author Topic: Gynecomastia Forum - West Virginia Unilateral Changing to Both Sides  (Read 5569 times)

Offline DrBermant

• Plastic Surgeon - Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Mentor Member
    • View Profile
    • Bermant Plastic Surgery
Hello Dr. Bermant,

My name is - and I have been suffering from gynecomastia since I was a teenager.  My gynecomastia started unilaterally in the right side of my chest, but has recently started to appear on the left as well.

I would like to say first of all that upon visiting your website, I was very impressed.  Everything that I needed to know about gynecomastia was right in front of me to read.

I am 23 years old, and have always been a skinny to average build-right now I weigh around 175-180 and am 6'1''.  Now I am focusing on trying to find the right way to fix my gynecomastia problem.  When I first noticed the problem many years ago, my family doctor told me that it should go away on its own.  Well, as with many people, it never went away.  Through the years, I tried to hide the gynecomastia through layered clothing, taping my chest, and now I wear a compression vest much of the time.

This past summer, I decided that I had to do something about this problem because I couldnt live this way anymore.  I live in West Virginia, and saw an endocrinologist in the area to further explore my gynecomastia.  After several blood tests (prolactin, etc) she sent me to get a mammogram.

My next step was to see a surgeon.  I saw a surgeon in the area who said he did 1-2 of these surgeries a year and said that he could help me out.  Well, I thought that his numbers were kind of low for gynecomastia surgeries, but decided to proceed.  Soon before my surgery date, my insurance company informed me that they would not covery this surgery and I found that it would cost about 7500 dollars.  I thought that this was too much to spend on someone who only does 1-2 of these surgeries per year.

Upon doing some research, I found your website and was very impressed with the results that your patients receive.  I really feel that you are the doctor who could help me get back my normal life.  What steps should I take next?

Sincerely,

Thank you for your kind words about my passion and site. I see many Gynecomastia Patients from West Virginia and around the world who prefer my techniques.

You are correct, that few a number of surgeries can be an issue of experience. Yet every surgeon has to start somewhere. Here are new resources I built on How To Pick Your Gynecomastia Surgeon.

I find One Sided or Unilateral Gynecomastia is a lot more common than some assume. I have seen quite a few patients with this contour issue. Here is another example of One Sided Gynecomastia.

Much more common is Assymetric or Uneven Gynecomastia, one side larger than the other. . This becomes a critical issue as I cannot operate on only one side of an uneven gynecomastia and reliably come up with matching a small contour problem of the other: both sides need to be done. Why do I love the true one sided cases?  It is part of the passion of my surgery. Be able to operate on one side and make it look like anther side that has never been operated, the perfection issue better surgeons strive towards but never can fully achieve in reality. It was such cases that stimulated my move towards improving bruising and swelling for all of my cases. When surgical techniques have more swelling and bruising it shows up even more so when only one site is done.

There is a much more important issue here. You seem to be saying that the growth has not stabilized:

recently started to appear on the left as well

Finding out why something is getting bigger is critical. Surgery does not stop breast growth. Not all Endocrinologists have the same skills. If the tissue is growing or getting bigger from weight gain or from hormonal stimulation, stabilization is the first step, not surgery. Male breast growth can start out on one side and then progress to the other. I have yet to find an explanation for why one side might have different response to a body wide event than the other.

We are glad to see you here in our office and help you explore your concerns during a consultation or, to minimize travel our Preliminary Remote Discussion. Your Endocrinologist's notes and testing results can be of great help for this discussion. If interested, Jane is my office manager.  She can normally be reached at our office by phone Monday - Friday 9-5 Eastern Time at (804) 748-7737.

I have demonstrated the effective nature of Body Shaping Garments for many different body types. Although we have had patients try it in the office, sorry, I do not have pictures demonstrating one sided gynecomastia on that resource. The compression garment is an awesome temporizing tool to camouflage contours.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, M.D.
Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Surgical Sculptor, Artist, Creative Thinker, Problem Solver
Plastic Surgery
Follow DrBermant on Twitter
Like us on Facebook:
Encyclopedia News
Forum Updates