Author Topic: Gynecomastia Forum - What testing is needed for gynecomastia?  (Read 6712 times)

Offline DrBermant

• Plastic Surgeon - Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Mentor Member
    • View Profile
    • Bermant Plastic Surgery
What testing is needed for gynecomastia?

When no Red Flags are present, I do not order Gynecomastia Tests. Such testing becomes critical for unstable gynecomastia or someone with Gynecomastia Symptoms such as current tenderness, breast growth, and or nipple discharge. With the help of endocrinologists over the years, I have evolved this Red Flag System as to what patients need to be evaluated and worked up before considering surgery.  We were concerned about unnecessary money being spent on stable situations. At the same time we wanted to lower the chance of recurrence since surgery does not stop breast growth. This method was received well during my invited Gynecomastia lecture at the American Association Of Clinical Endocrinologists 2008 national meeting.

Other gynecomastia testing, such as a Male Mammogram, I order when my clinical hands on examination finds something that I do not understand.

Over a certain age or when patients have other medical conditions, testing may be necessary to establish the safety of surgery.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Learn More About Gynecomastia and Male Breast Reduction
Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Surgical Sculptor, Artist, Creative Thinker, Problem Solver
Plastic Surgery
Follow DrBermant on Twitter
Like us on Facebook:
Encyclopedia News
Forum Updates

Offline DrBermant

• Plastic Surgeon - Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Mentor Member
    • View Profile
    • Bermant Plastic Surgery
Re: Gynecomastia Forum - What testing is needed for gynecomastia?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2012, 06:33:58 AM »
What testing is needed for gynecomastia?

When no Red Flags are present, I do not order Gynecomastia Tests. Such testing becomes critical for unstable gynecomastia or someone with Gynecomastia Symptoms such as current tenderness, breast growth, and or nipple discharge. With the help of endocrinologists over the years, I have evolved this Red Flag System as to what patients need to be evaluated and worked up before considering surgery.  We were concerned about unnecessary money being spent on stable situations. At the same time we wanted to lower the chance of recurrence since surgery does not stop breast growth. This method was received well during my invited Gynecomastia lecture at the American Association Of Clinical Endocrinologists 2008 national meeting.

Other gynecomastia testing, such as a Male Mammogram, I order when my clinical hands on examination finds something that I do not understand.

Over a certain age or when patients have other medical conditions, testing may be necessary to establish the safety of surgery.

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD

This should not be construed as medical advice. I am a retired Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. I have added:

Gynecomastia Experience Forum: Endocrinology Evaluation after Successful Surgery?

Hope this helps,

Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Michael Bermant, MD
Retired Plastic Surgeon
Surgical Sculptor, Artist, Creative Thinker, Problem Solver
Plastic Surgery
Follow DrBermant on Twitter
Like us on Facebook:
Encyclopedia News
Forum Updates